Dr. Erin Smith
Facial Plastic Surgeon in Austin, Texas
Dr. Erin Smith is a Beverly Hills trained Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon who specializes in both cosmetic and reconstructive procedures of the face, neck, nose, eyelids, ears, and forehead.
Dr. Smith grew up in Mississippi and completed her undergraduate education at the University of Mississippi with a double major in Biochemistry and Psychology, where she graduated as Magna Cum Laude from the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College and was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa, Chi Psi, Gamma Beta Phi, and Tri-Beta honor societies. She also served as an Ole Miss Student Ambassador and was an active member of her sorority. During this time, she traveled to Montero, Bolivia, where she developed a passion for medical mission work. She then completed a Masters in Science in Neuroscience from Tulane University in New Orleans, LA, which solidified her drive to become a surgeon.
REQUEST A CONSULTATION
Dr. Erin Smith
She earned her Medical Degree from the University of Mississippi School of Medicine, where she graduated in the top 5% of her class as Cum Laude and was a junior inductee into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, where she served as vice president. She was also nominated by her faculty and peers to the Gold Humanism Honor Society, which recognizes role models who demonstrate excellence in clinical care, compassion, and dedication to service. While in medical school, she was also selected as a Medical Student Research Program Scholar, served on the ethics committee, acted as a peer tutor, and volunteered with several community outreach programs.
She then went on to complete a rigorous 5-year Head & Neck Surgery residency program at the University of Mississippi Medical Center where she served as Chair of the Chief Resident Council, which oversees all medical residency subspecialties. During this time, she also was appointed as the resident member of the Facial Plastic and Reconstruction Education Committee for American Academy of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery Society.
Dr. Smith then completed an accredited American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship in Beverly Hills, California with world renowned surgeons Dr. Paul Nassif, star of the show “Botched,” and Dr. Babak Azizzadeh, the founder of the Facial Paralysis Institute and Center for Advanced Facial Plastic Surgery. While there, she treated patients from all over the world and gained expertise in facial paralysis surgery, primary and revision rhinoplasty, face and neck lift, lip lift, eyelid and eyebrow surgery, and skin cancer reconstruction. She developed a passion for treating patients suffering from facial nerve disorders including Bell’s Palsy and synkinesis and specializes in cutting edge surgical and non-surgical techniques to restore symmetry, attractiveness, and overall self-confidence in these individuals. She also studied under some of the world’s leading oculoplastic surgeons and cosmetic dermatologists while in Beverly Hills and has extensive training in non-surgical treatments including: Botox, fillers, lasers, skin tightening technologies, and hair restoration. Dr. Smith is certified by The American Board of Otolaryngology.
Dr. Smith has authored numerous peer-reviewed journal publications and book chapters and has presented her work at medical meetings across the country. Outside of her passion for patient care and research, Dr. Smith most enjoys spending time with her husband and three daughters and traveling. She loves the outdoors, unique food, and live music and is looking forward to raising her family in the Austin area.
Fellow, American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery,Beverly Hills, CA
Fellow to: Dr. Paul Nassif at NassifMD, Dr Babak Azizzadeh atCenter for Advanced Facial Plastic Surgeryand The Facial Paralysis Institute
University of Mississippi, School of Medicine, Jackson, MS
Residency Program in Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Chief Resident, Chair of Chief Residents’ Council
University of Mississippi, School of Medicine, Jackson, MS
MD, May 2014 Honors: Cum Laude (top 5% of class)
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
Masters of Science, Neuroscience, May 2009, GPA: 3.97
Bachelor of Arts, Majors: Biochemistry, Psychology, Minor: Biology GPA: 3.95, Honors: Magna Cum Laude, Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College, Phi Beta Kappa, Chancellors Honor Roll, Tri-Beta, Chi Psi, Gamma Beta Phi
- Texas State Medical License
- California State Medical License
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, board eligible for fall 2020
- American Board of Otolaryngology, passed written boards, oral boards fall 2020
- United States Medical Licensing Exam: Step 1 (5/2012, 251), Step 2 CK/CS (5/2013, 264), Step 3 (12/2017)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (3/2020)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (6/2019)
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (11/2014)
HONORS AND AWARDS
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Gold Humanism Honor Society
Thomas M. (Peter) Blake, MD Award
Alpha Omega Alpha Junior Initiate, UMC School of Medicine Chapter
Leadership Positions: Vice President, Chair of Faculty of the Year Selection Committee, Member of Application Development Committee
AMA Foundations Scholarship
Douglas Wills Memorial Scholarship
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Resident/Fellow Member 2018-present
- American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery, July 2014- present
- American Medical Association, Member, August 2010-present
OTHER MEMBERSHIPS AND VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
- Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgery Journal Club, Host and organizer, 2020
- UMMC Medical Center Chief Resident Council Co-Chair, June 2018- May 2019
- Facial Plastic and Reconstruction Education Committee, AAO-HNS, Member- Oct 2017-October 2018
- UMMC Residents’ Council, Member, July 2017- May 2019
- Step 1 Prep Tutor, 2012-2013
- Student Clinician Ceremony Planning Committee 2012 and 2013
- Tar Wars, Student instructor, 2011
- New School of Medicine Student Planning Committee, 2011
- M2 Ethics Committee Member, 2011
- Carl G Evers Society, Treasurer, M3 Class Coordinator, Sep 2010- 2012
- Medical School Curriculum Sub-Committee Member, 2011-2013
- Jackson Free Clinic, Volunteer 2010-2014
- Peer Tutor, Biochemistry, Gross Anatomy, & Microbiology, Aug 2011-2012
- Midtown Urology Community Outreach Program Co-Director, 2007-2008
- Medical Mission Trip, Volunteer, Montero, Bolivia, 2006
- Undergraduate: American Medical Student Association (Chapter Secretary), Ole Miss Ambassador; Student Alumni Council; Alpha Epsilon Delta (premed), Delta Gamma sorority (Special Events Director), Habitat for Humanity
July 2019-June 2020
Fellow Research: Participated in various facial plastic surgery research projects. See presentations and publications below.
July 2014-June 2019
Resident Research: Participated in various otolaryngology research projects. See presentations and publications below.
May 2011- 2014
Medical Student Research Program Scholar
UMC School of Medicine, School of Medicine, Jackson, MS
- Design and conduct clinical and basic science research projects
Nov 2009 – Jul 2010
Clinical Research Coordinator
Tulane School of Medicine, Department of Urology, New Orleans, LA
- Design, conduct, and manage academia-based research
- Prepare IRB packages, grants, & research budgets
- Patient screening, consent, interviews, recruitment, follow-up
- Perform physical data collection (phlebotomy, UA, ECG)
- Administer study medication / Drug inventory & accountability
- Coordinate and oversee medical student research team
Feb 2008 – Aug 2008
Clinical Research Coordinator
Department of Medical Research, Midtown Urology P.C., Atlanta, GA
- Design, conduct, & manage practice-based research
- Train & oversee research department interns
Dec 2005 – May 2007
Psychopharmacology Laboratory Research Assistant
University of Mississippi, University, MS
- Completed research for SMB Honors College Thesis
- Collect, compile, analyze, & present data to a committee of faculty & peers
- Conduct studies on anxiety, panic, pain, depression, & social attachment
- Create protocol and experimental design by IUCAC guidelines
May 2006- Aug 2006
Neuroscience Laboratory Research Assistant
CPN, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS
- Investigate the effects of REM sleep on brain maturation in young rats
- Perform stereotaxic EEG/EMG implantation surgeries; analyze recordings
Smith EJ, Nassif P, Peng GL, Cabin J, & Azizzadeh B. “The Changing Landscape of Facial Plastic Surgery Fellowship Training.” Submitted for publication Laryngoscope, May 2020.
Christopher LH, Slattery WH, Smith EJ, Larian B, & Azizzadeh B. Facial Nerve Management in Patients with Malignant Skull Base Tumors. Pending submission to Journal of Neuro-oncology, May 2020.
Azizzadeh B, Fitzgerald R, Massry G, & Smith EJ. “Subunit Approach to Facelifting and Facial Rejuvenation.” Facelift Surgical Techniques. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics. April 2020, article in press.
Nassif P & Smith EJ. “Use of the Diced Cartilage Glue Graft in Rhinoplasty.” Functional and Reconstructive Rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty Archive. February 2020.
Smith EJ, Lange J, Moore C, Eid I, Jackson L, Monico J. The Role of Intravenous Acetaminophen in Post-Operative Pain Control in Head and Neck Cancer Patients. Laryngoscope investigative otolaryngology. 2019 Apr;4(2):250-4.
Smith EJ, Bishop CE, Spankovich C, Su D, Valle K, Schweinfurth JM. The relationship of cardiometabolic risk and auditory processing in African Americans: The Jackson Heart Study. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, Dec 2018. 0194599818816090.
Smith EJ & Stringer S. Current perioperative practice patterns for minimizing surgical site infection during rhinologic procedures. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2014 Dec;4(12):1002-7. doi: 10.1002/alr.21395.
Smith EJ, Rezeanu L, Carron J. Case presentation of soft tissue parapharyngeal chondroma in a pediatric patient, Am J Otolaryngol–Head and Neck Med and Surg (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjoto.2013.08.010
Smith EJ, Urencio M, Xu J, Caskey RC, Morris MW,Wu W, Dorsett-Martin W, Zhang L, Mitchell ME, Liechty KW. The Progressive Decline in Diabetic Skin Integrity Is Associated With Decreased Collagen Protein Content and Dysregulation of MicroRNA-29a. Journal of Surgical Research – February 2012 (Vol. 172, Issue 2, Page 247, DOI: 10.1016/j.jss.2011.11.393).
Conley SP, Feige AM, Sartor EA, Johnson EK, Lee BR. Near-Infrared Tissue Oximetry: A Pilot Study for Intraoperative Monitoring and Quantitation of Renal Ischemia During Partial Nephrectomy. Journal of Endourology Part B, Videourology. September 2010, 24. doi: 10.1089/vid.2010.0112
Nassif P, Fredericks J, Shtraks J, & Smith EJ. “Diced Cartilage Fascia Grafting: The Past, the Present, the Future: The Diced Cartilage Glue Graft.” Society for Rhinoplasty Surgeons of South Africa (SORSSA). Zoom webinar. April 15, 2020.
Smith EJ & Azizzadeh B. Facial Anatomic Subunit Analysis: A Novel Facial Rejuvenation Algorithm. Presented as podium presentation at the American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery annual meeting in San Diego California, October 2019.
Smith EJ, Lange J, Moore C, Eid I, Jackson L, Monico J. The Role of Intravenous Acetaminophen in Post-Operative Pain Control in Head and Neck Cancer Patients. Presented as podium presentation at the Combined Otolaryngology Section Meeting in Washington D.C., April 18, 2018.
Smith EJ, Jackson L, & Eid I. Case matched comparison of the ulnar fasciocutaneous free flap to the radial fasciocutaenous free flap for reconstruction of head and neck defects. Presented at AAO-HNSF Meeting in October 2018.
Smith EJ, Bishop C, Spankovich C, Su D, Hamadain E, & Schweinfurth J. Relationship between cardiometabolic risk factors and auditory processing in African Americans: The Jackson Heart Study. Presented at AAO-HNS Meeting. September 2017.
Smith EJ & Stringer S. Current perioperative practice patterns for minimizing surgical site infection during rhinologic procedures. Presented at the Combined Otolaryngology Section Meeting in May 2014.
Smith EJ, Pavlov AK, Hutcheson EL, Arnold PB. A single-surgeon quality improvement study comparing the complication rate in obese and non-obese women who underwent bilateral breast reduction. Department of Medicine Research Day, April 4, 2013.
Smith EJ, Urencio JM, Xu J, Caskey RC, Morris MW, Wu W, Zhang L, Dorsett-Martin W, Mitchell ME, Liechty KW. The Role of the Extracellular Matrix (ECM) in the Pathogenesis of Diabetic Wounds. Medical Student Research Program Research Day. Jackson, MS March 22, 2012.
Smith EJ, Urencio JM, Xu J, Caskey RC, Morris MW, Wu W, Zhang L, Dorsett-Martin W, Mitchell ME, Liechty KW. The Progressive Decline in Diabetic Skin Integrity is Associated with Decreased Collagen Protein Content and Dysregulation of MicroRNA-29a. The Academic Surgical Congress. February 13, 2012.
Johnson, EK, Sufka KJ. Influence of Carrageenan-Induced Nociception on Separation-Induced Distress Vocalizations and hyperthermia in domestic fowl chicks. Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College thesis defense. Oxford, MS May 2007.
Johnson, EK. Shaffery JP. Norepinephrine and the Role of REM Sleep in Brain Maturation in Rats. Neuroscience Summer Scholars Program. Jackson, MS July 2006.
Traveling, Concerts, Camping, Cooking, Watersports, Spending time with my husband, our 3 daughters, Pilates/Pure Barre/Yoga